the Volcano Builder interactive!
In this interactive, you will explore how different types of volcanoes are formed. Test how the viscosity (thickness and stickiness) and gas content of magma affect the formation of volcanoes, both on land and underwater. Can you create a shield volcano, cinder cone, and stratovolcano? What happens when you create a volcano underwater?
1. Choose whether you will form your volcano on land or underwater.
2. Choose whether to view the volcano’s formation as a cross section or in map view.
3. Define the magma for your eruption.
4. Select ‘Erupt’ and observe what happens!
5. Explore the rock types in your volcano.
What type of volcano is this?
You have created a stratovolcano!
Thick, sticky magma erupts explosively and over time creates a tall, steep volcano.
Explore some of the common rock types by clicking on the hotspots from the right panel:
You have created a stratovolcano.
Start over to discover the other two main volcano types.